Professor, Clinical Law Programs
Clinical Law Offices
- J.D. Gonzaga University School of Law, 1977
- B.A. University of Washington, 1972
Following law school, Professor Critchlow entered private practice, with Critchlow & Williams in Richland, Wash., where he specialized in personal injury, family law, and criminal defense. He joined the Gonzaga Law School faculty in 1980 as a clinical professor. Over the years, Prof. Critchlow has taught Pleadings and Civil Procedure, Criminal Procedure, International Human Rights Law, and Litigation Skills and Professionalism, while continuing his clinical work.
From 1999 to 2005, Prof. Critchlow was the Director of Clinical Programs. In 2004-05, and again in 2009-11, he served as interim Dean of the Law School. He was a Fulbright Scholar and Lecturer at the University of Sibiu, Sibiu, Romania in 1993, and taught at Romania’s Black Sea University in 1995. He has also served as a Legal Consultant for the American Bar Association in Romania and Jordan.
Prof. Critchlow was an original founder and a Director of the Gonzaga Institute for Action Against Hate (now known as the Gonzaga Institute for Hate Studies), which focuses on the interdisciplinary study of why people hate, and develops strategies for combating hate. He founded and edited the Institute’s Journal of Hate Studies, which is published annually in print and online. He helped create and administer the Law School’s MSW/JD dual-degree program offered in conjunction with Eastern Washington University. He was instrumental in establishing the Law School’s Indian Law Program and Indian Law Clinic. The Law School’s China Comparative Law Summer Program was designed and inaugurated under Prof. Critchlow’s leadership as interim dean.
Prof. Critchlow is admitted to practice in Washington State, in the United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Washington, in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and in the United States Supreme Court. He has conducted civil and criminal litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts.
- Beyond Elitism: Legal Education for the Public Good (forthcoming in the Toledo Law Review); available on SSRN
- A Dialogue on Jordanian Legal Education (co-authored with Nisreen Mahasneh), a paper presented at The Conference on Global Legal Education at Hebron University, forthcoming in Global Legal Education Approaches: Special Reference to the Middle East, Cambridge Press
- Kim Kardashian and Honey Boo Boo: Models for Law School Success(or Not), 45 Connecticut Law Review 1319 (2013)
- Attorneys’ Criticism of Judges: Professional Misconduct or Protected Speech?, Washington State Bar Association “Bar News,” July, 2012
- Stopping Genocide Through International Agreement When the Security Council Fails to Act, Georgetown Journal of International Law, Winter 2009
- Where Do Human Rights Begin, Volume 5, Interdisciplinary Journal of Hate Studies, 2007
- Teaching Law in Transylvania: Notes on Romanian Legal Education, 44 J. Legal Educ. 157, 1994
- Professional Responsibility, Student Practice, and the Clinical Teacher’s Duty to Intervene, 26 Gonz. L. Rev. 415, 1991
- Attorneys’ Criticism of Judges: Professional Misconduct or Protected Speech?, Federal Civil Trial Practice Seminar, sponsored by the Benton-Franklin County Bar Association, Richland, Wash., May, 2010
- Legal Strategies for Fighting Hate in Washington State, Annual Senior Lawyers Conference, sponsored by the WSBA Senior Lawyers Section, Seattle, Wash., April, 2010
- Moderator and panelist for annual conference of the International Association of Genocide Scholars at George Mason University on the thesis presented in his recent article Stopping Genocide through International Agreement When the Security Council Fails to Act, June 8, 2009
- Delivered the Human Rights Day Celebration keynote address to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Spokane, Wash., Dec. 10, 2008.
- Chaired the planning committee for the annual Northwest Clinical Law Conference, Leavenworth, Wash., Oct. 11-13, 2008
- Panelist for a conference celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, sponsored by Unity House and the Gonzaga Institute for Action Against Hate, Sept. 29, 2008
- Pets as Personal Property (With Bret Roberts), the Animal Legal Defense Fund CLE, 2008
- Lessons of the Holocaust, Human Rights Education Institute, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, Oct. 30, 2006
- Panel presentation, The Future of Clinical Legal Education, Northwest Clinical Law Conference, Leavenworth, Wash., Sept. 30, 2006
- CLE sponsored by Washington State Office of Public Defense, Ethical considerations in Ad Hoc Plea Negotiations, June 2, 2006
- Where Do Universal Human Rights Begin?, Spokane Community Observance of the Holocaust – Yom HaShoah, Apr. 25, 2006
- Clinical Law
- Criminal Procedure
- Litigation Skills and Professionalism
- Pleadings and Civil Procedures
- International Human Rights