Professor of Law
Assistant: Vicky Daniels
- J.D. DePaul University
- M.A. Economics, Western Illinois University
- B.A. Western Illinois University
Professor Murphy joined the faculty in 2000, after working as an attorney for the Internal Revenue Service for nearly 15 years. While with the I.R.S., she tried 50 cases before the United States Tax Court, dealing with issues including fraud, business deductions, mergers and acquisitions, TEFRA partnerships, corporate expenses, and exempt organizations.
Awards and Honors
- Fulbright Distinguished Chair: Shanghai, People’s Republic of China, 2014-2015
- Fulbright Lecturer: Beijing, People’s Republic of China, 2007-2008
- Inland Northwest Blood Center, 2014 Chairperson of the Year (Higher Education)
- Orland Professor of the Year
- Elder Law
- Individual Federal Income Tax
- Litigation Skills & Professionalism
- Taxation of Exempt Organizations
- Wills and Trusts
- Ann Murphy, People of the State of California v. Phillip Spector, Case File (Aspen Publishers 2010). ISBN 978-07355-9795-2. Click here.
- Teacher’s Manual – Password protected: Click here.
- Ann Murphy, et al., Federal Tax Practice and Procedure 2003 – present (Matthew Bender (LexisNexis), Rev. Ed.). ISBN 978-0-8205-5344-3. Click here.
- Ann Murphy, et al., Beyond Elder Law, New Directions in Law and Aging, Chapter 9: Aid in Dying – United States and Around the World, Springer Publishing, 2012. Israel Doron and Ann M. Soden, Eds. ISBN 978-3-642-25971-5. Click here.
- Ann Murphy, et al., Perspectives on American Law, Joint Project of the Fulbright Foundation and the Hong Kong America Center, Publication with Peking University Press, Beijing, 2013 (ISBN 13:978730121788) Available in Chinese.
Law Review Articles
- Murphy, Ann, Vanishing Point: Alzheimer’s Disease and its Challenges to the Federal Rules of Evidence, Michigan State Law Review (Winter 2013). Forthcoming.
- Murphy, Ann, Is It Safe? The Need For State Ethical Rules to Keep Pace With Technological Advances, 81 Fordham Law Review 101 (2013) Forthcoming.
- Murphy, Ann, Federal Rule of Evidence 502 – Inadvertent Disclosure – The “Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free Provision” – Or Is It? – 41 New Mexico Law Review 193 (2011), available here.
- Murphy, Ann, Please Don’t Bury Me Down in that Cold Cold Ground: The Need for Uniform Laws on the Disposition of Human Remains, 15 Elder Law Journal 381 (2007)
- Murphy, Ann, Spin Control and the High-Profile Client – Should the Attorney-Client Privilege Extend to Communications with Public Relations Consultants?, 55 Syracuse Law Review 545 (2005)
- Murphy, Ann, Campaign Signs and the Collection Plate – Never the Twain Shall Meet?, 1 Pittsburgh Tax Review 35 (Fall 2003)
- Article – Ann Murphy, Washington State Supreme Court: The Legislature’s Adoption of Special Sexual Offense Character Rules is Unconstitutional, Washington State Bar Association, Criminal Law Section Newsletter, Volume 14, No. 1, June 2012
- Article – Ann Murphy, Oral Arguments Heard in the Civil Commitment of Kevin Coe (the “South Hill Rapist”) in February, Washington State Bar Association, Criminal Law Section Newsletter, Volume 14, No. 1, June 2012
- Article – Ann Murphy, Use High-Profile Cases to Illustrate the Federal Rules of Evidence, The Law Teacher, Vol. XVIII, No. 2, Spring 2012, pp. 6-7.
- Editor (with Professors Deborah Merritt and Ric Simmons) – ‘Evidence in the News,’ West Academic Publishing, click here.
- Article – Ann Murphy, Cheshire: Putting the Brakes on Innocent Spouse Relief?, November 6, 2000 (Tax Analysts, Tax Notes Today, Ed.). Subsequently quoted in “Spouses are Guilty until Proven Innocent to the IRS,” U.S. News and World Report, February 19, 2001, p. 64
- Article – Ann Murphy and David Higer, The Ten Deadly Sins: A Law with Unintended Consequences – renamed Send the 10 Deadly Sins List to Expurgatory, August 5, 2002. (Tax Analysts, Tax Notes Today, Ed.)
- Article – Ann Murphy and Xiong Wei, A Comparison of Tax Filing Procedures in the United States and China, Practitioners’ Corner, Tax Notes International, September 8, 2008, p. 837
- Article – Ann Murphy, The Attorney-Client Privilege and Inadvertent Disclosure, Washington State Bar Association, Litigation News, Special Edition: Evidence, spring 2010
- Article – Ann Murphy New Tax Court Rules and Practices, LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis, February 23, 2010, available here. (Password needed for full access). Podcast of interview available here. (Password needed for full access)
- Article – Ann Murphy, Gender Reassignment Surgery and Hormone Therapy: Section 213 Medical Expense Deduction Upheld, February 3, 2010, LexisNexis Tax Law Community website, available here. (Password needed for full access)
- Article – Ann Murphy, FRE 502: The Lawyer-Saving Provision for Inadvertent Waivers of Privileges, LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis, June 7, 2010, available here. (Password needed for full access)
- Article – Ann Murphy, Tax Court Rejects the “Geithner Defense:” Lam and Chang v. Commissioner, May 4, 2010, available here. (Password needed for full access)
- On-line Book – Murphy, Ann, Member of the Editorial Board – The LexisNexis Topical Federal Tax Service, 2005 (LexisNexis, Ed.)
- Book Chapter – Murphy, Ann, Tax Aspects of Divorce, Washington Law and Practice Manual, Chapter IX, Domestic Relations Practice, (Washington State Bar Association, Ed.)
- Book Chapter – Murphy, Ann, Community Property Deskbook, Chapter Seven, Taxation, (Washington State Bar Association, Ed.)
- Chair-Elect, American Association of Law Schools, Evidence Section 2014-2015
- Secretary, American Association of Law Schools, Evidence Section 2013-2014
- Invited Panelist, Advisory Committee on Federal Evidence Rules, Charleston, South Carolina, October 5, 2015. Minutes available here.
- Invited Guest Speaker 2014-2015
- Central University of Political Science and Law, Beijing, PRC
- Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing, PRC
- Southwest University of Political Science and Law, Chongqing, PRC
- Beijing Foreign Studies University, Beijing, PRC
- Xinjiang Normal University, Xinjian Autonomous Region, PRC
- Jinan University, Guagzhou, PRC
- Academia Sinica, Taiwan, Republic of China
- National Taiwan University, Republic of China
- Lixin University, Shanghai, PRC
- Nanjing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Nanjing, PRC
- Nanjing Normal University, Nanjing, PRC
- Invited Guest Speaker 2007-2008
- Wuhan University, Wuhan, PRC
- Fudan University, Shanghai, PRC
- China University of Political Science and Law, Shanghai PRC
- University of Science and Technology, Nanjing PRC
- Xiamen University, Xiamen, PRC
- Vanishing Point: Alzheimer’s Disease and Its Challenges to the Federal Rules of Evidence , available here.
- The University of Montana – Missoula – 49th, 50th, 57th, 58th, and 59th Annual Tax Institutes, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010 and 2011
- 11th Annual Oregon Tax Institute, Oregon State Bar, June 3, 2011
- Oregon State Bar Association CLE Tax Controversies, 2004
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, 2000 Tax Forum, November 6, 2000; Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, Federal Taxation Conference, December 5, 2008
- Washington State Bar Association CLE on Community Property, November 10, 2003
- Community Property Hot Topics, available here.
- Washington State Bar Association CLE, Family Law Tax Issues, November 2, 2000
- Washington State Bar Association, Understanding Business Entities in the Estate Planning Arena, plus Trust and Estate Litigation and Alternatives, February 15, 2001, Program Co-chair
- Idaho State Bar Annual Meeting, July 12, 2001
- Idaho State Bar, Family Law Section – Family Law 2001, October 5, 12, 19, 2001 (three locations – Post Falls, Idaho; Idaho Falls, Idaho; and Boise, Idaho)
- Idaho State University, College of Business 43rd Annual Idaho State Tax Institute, November 2-3, 2001
- 2008 Professional Development Seminar for CPAs and Attorneys, Hosted by KADLEC Foundation, November 7, 2008, Richland, Washington
- Gonzaga Institute for Law School Teaching, Teaching the Law School Curriculum, Villanova Law School, Federal Income Tax
- Gonzaga University School of Law 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st Tax Institute at Priest Lake, Idaho, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004
- Gonzaga University Winter Tax Workshops, December 15, 2000 and December 14, 2001
Newspaper / Periodical Quotes
- Dear judge: Looking happy on Facebook is a lie, Amanda Hess Thursday, April 30, 2015, Tampa Bay Times
- Al Jazeera, American Justice Delayed, May 2014 (about State of Washington v. Joseph McEnroe and Michele Anderson)
- Guest Speaker — The Univesity of South Dakota — Elder Law Forum Radio Show, Show 239
- Celebrity Court Radio — Featured Speaker — Case of John McAfee; Phil Spector HBO Special
- Commentator, IRS’ Officials Failure to Disclose Targeting Could Lead to Criminal Charges, 2013 Tax Notes Today 96-2 (2013)
- KIRO Radio, Seattle, March 27, 2013 — Spoke on two cases before the supreme court on Same sex marriage/DOMA (17 minutes) Available here.
- Becoming a Lawyer: How Law Students Can Prepare for the Workforce, Wolters Kluwer Legal Ed, June 11, 2012
- From Prostitutes to Bikinis: US Prepares Tax Expenses, Andrew Beatty (AFP), March 13, 2011, Yahoo News, various other sites
- Our 100 Favorite Blawgs, TaxProf Blog, ABA Journal, December 2010
- Businesses Divided Over I-1098 Income Tax, Andrew Garber, Seattle Times, October 7, 2010
- Burning Down the House; Chris Dudley Took a Large – and Questionable – Tax Deduction, Nigel Jaquiss, Willamette Week, October 6, 2010
- Editor (with Professor Deborah Merritt and Ric Simmons) — ‘Evidence in the News,’ West Academic Publishing.