Professor of Law
Assistant: Vicky Daniels
- J.D. DePaul University
- M.A. Economics, Western Illinois University
- B.A. Western Illinois University
Professor Murphy joined the faculty in 2000, after working as an attorney for the Internal Revenue Service for nearly 15 years. While with the I.R.S., she tried 50 cases before the United States Tax Court, dealing with issues including fraud, business deductions, mergers and acquisitions, TEFRA partnerships, corporate expenses, and exempt organizations.
Awards and Honors
- Fulbright Lecturer: Beijing, People’s Republic of China, 2007-2008
- Orland Professor of the Year
- Individual Federal Income Tax
- Litigation Skills & Professionalism
- Taxation of Exempt Organizations
- Wills and Trusts
- Ann Murphy, People of the State of California v. Phillip Spector, Case File (Aspen Publishers 2010). ISBN 978-07355-9795-2. Click here.
- Teacher’s Manual – Password protected: Click here.
- Ann Murphy, et al., Federal Tax Practice and Procedure 2003 – present (Matthew Bender (LexisNexis), Rev. Ed.). ISBN 978-0-8205-5344-3. Click here.
- Ann Murphy, et al., Beyond Elder Law, New Directions in Law and Aging, Chapter 9: Aid in Dying – United States and Around the World, Springer Publishing, 2012. Israel Doron and Ann M. Soden, Eds. ISBN 978-3-642-25971-5. Click here.
- Ann Murphy, et al., Reader in American Law for Chinese Law Students, Joint Project of the Fulbright Foundation and the Hong Kong America Center, Publication with Peking University Press, Beijing Pending
Law Review Articles
- Murphy, Ann, Vanishing Point: Alzheimer’s Disease and its Challenges to the Federal Rules of Evidence, Michigan State Law Review (Winter 2013). Forthcoming.
- Murphy, Ann, Is It Safe? The Need For State Ethical Rules to Keep Pace With Technological Advances, 81 Fordham Law Review 101 (2013) Forthcoming.
- Murphy, Ann, Federal Rule of Evidence 502 – Inadvertent Disclosure – The “Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free Provision” – Or Is It? – 41 New Mexico Law Review 193 (2011), available here.
- Murphy, Ann, Please Don’t Bury Me Down in that Cold Cold Ground: The Need for Uniform Laws on the Disposition of Human Remains, 15 Elder Law Journal 381 (2007)
- Murphy, Ann, Spin Control and the High-Profile Client – Should the Attorney-Client Privilege Extend to Communications with Public Relations Consultants?, 55 Syracuse Law Review 545 (2005)
- Murphy, Ann, Campaign Signs and the Collection Plate – Never the Twain Shall Meet?, 1 Pittsburgh Tax Review 35 (Fall 2003)
- Article – Ann Murphy, Washington State Supreme Court: The Legislature’s Adoption of Special Sexual Offense Character Rules is Unconstitutional, Washington State Bar Association, Criminal Law Section Newsletter, Volume 14, No. 1, June 2012
- Article – Ann Murphy, Oral Arguments Heard in the Civil Commitment of Kevin Coe (the “South Hill Rapist”) in February, Washington State Bar Association, Criminal Law Section Newsletter, Volume 14, No. 1, June 2012
- Article – Ann Murphy, Use High-Profile Cases to Illustrate the Federal Rules of Evidence, The Law Teacher, Vol. XVIII, No. 2, Spring 2012, pp. 6-7.
- Editor (with Professors Deborah Merritt and Ric Simmons) – ‘Evidence in the News,’ West Academic Publishing, click here.
- Article – Ann Murphy, Cheshire: Putting the Brakes on Innocent Spouse Relief?, November 6, 2000 (Tax Analysts, Tax Notes Today, Ed.). Subsequently quoted in “Spouses are Guilty until Proven Innocent to the IRS,” U.S. News and World Report, February 19, 2001, p. 64
- Article – Ann Murphy and David Higer, The Ten Deadly Sins: A Law with Unintended Consequences – renamed Send the 10 Deadly Sins List to Expurgatory, August 5, 2002. (Tax Analysts, Tax Notes Today, Ed.)
- Article – Ann Murphy and Xiong Wei, A Comparison of Tax Filing Procedures in the United States and China, Practitioners’ Corner, Tax Notes International, September 8, 2008, p. 837
- Article – Ann Murphy, The Attorney-Client Privilege and Inadvertent Disclosure, Washington State Bar Association, Litigation News, Special Edition: Evidence, spring 2010
- Article – Ann Murphy New Tax Court Rules and Practices, LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis, February 23, 2010, available here. (Password needed for full access). Podcast of interview available here. (Password needed for full access)
- Article – Ann Murphy, Gender Reassignment Surgery and Hormone Therapy: Section 213 Medical Expense Deduction Upheld, February 3, 2010, LexisNexis Tax Law Community website, available here. (Password needed for full access)
- Article – Ann Murphy, FRE 502: The Lawyer-Saving Provision for Inadvertent Waivers of Privileges, LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis, June 7, 2010, available here. (Password needed for full access)
- Article – Ann Murphy, Tax Court Rejects the “Geithner Defense:” Lam and Chang v. Commissioner, May 4, 2010, available here. (Password needed for full access)
- On-line Book – Murphy, Ann, Member of the Editorial Board – The LexisNexis Topical Federal Tax Service, 2005 (LexisNexis, Ed.)
- Book Chapter – Murphy, Ann, Tax Aspects of Divorce, Washington Law and Practice Manual, Chapter IX, Domestic Relations Practice, (Washington State Bar Association, Ed.)
- Book Chapter – Murphy, Ann, Community Property Deskbook, Chapter Seven, Taxation, (Washington State Bar Association, Ed.)
- Vanishing Point: Alzheimer’s Disease and Its Challenges to the Federal Rules of Evidence
- International Guest Speaker, Wuhan University, Wuhan, People’s Republic of China; Fudan University and Eastern China University of Political Science and Law, Shanghai, PRC; University of Science and Technology, Nanjing, PRC; Xiamen University, Xiamen, PRC (2007-2008)
- The University of Montana – Missoula – 49th, 50th, 57th, 58th, and 59th Annual Tax Institutes, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010 and 2011
- 11th Annual Oregon Tax Institute, Oregon State Bar, June 3, 2011
- Oregon State Bar Association CLE Tax Controversies, 2004
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, 2000 Tax Forum, November 6, 2000; Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, Federal Taxation Conference, December 5, 2008
- Washington State Bar Association CLE on Community Property, November 10, 2003
- Washington State Bar Association CLE, Family Law Tax Issues, November 2, 2000
- Washington State Bar Association, Understanding Business Entities in the Estate Planning Arena, plus Trust and Estate Litigation and Alternatives, February 15, 2001, Program Co-chair
- Idaho State Bar Annual Meeting, July 12, 2001
- Idaho State Bar, Family Law Section – Family Law 2001, October 5, 12, 19, 2001 (three locations – Post Falls, Idaho; Idaho Falls, Idaho; and Boise, Idaho)
- Idaho State University, College of Business 43rd Annual Idaho State Tax Institute, November 2-3, 2001
- 2008 Professional Development Seminar for CPAs and Attorneys, Hosted by KADLEC Foundation, November 7, 2008, Richland, Washington
- Gonzaga Institute for Law School Teaching, Teaching the Law School Curriculum, Villanova Law School, Federal Income Tax
- Gonzaga University School of Law 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st Tax Institute at Priest Lake, Idaho, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004
- Gonzaga University Winter Tax Workshops, December 15, 2000 and December 14, 2001
- Guest speaker – The University of South Dakota – Elder Law Forum Radio Show, Show 239
- Guest speaker on various radio shows
Newspaper / Periodical Quotes
- From Prostitutes to Bikinis: US Prepares Tax Expenses, Andrew Beatty (AFP), March 13, 2011, Yahoo News, various other sites
- Our 100 Favorite Blawgs, TaxProf Blog, ABA Journal, December 2010
- Businesses Divided Over I-1098 Income Tax, Andrew Garber, Seattle Times, October 7, 2010
- Burning Down the House; Chris Dudley Took a Large – and Questionable – Tax Deduction, Nigel Jaquiss, Willamette Week, October 6, 2010