If you would like to request legal assistance, contact University Legal Assistance at 509-313-5791.
Family Law Attorney & Student Help (FLASH) is a partnership between Gonzaga University School of Law and the Spokane County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Program (VLP). The purpose of the program is to connect trained Gonzaga Law student volunteers with VLP attorney volunteers to provide pro bono family law assistance to low-income VLP clients.
FLASH will provide increased access to justice in the high demand area of family law while providing Gonzaga Law Students training in the procedural and substantive requirements of family law practice. This partnership will provide a more efficient use of pro bono attorney time in the provision of family law services, enabling the family law bar to provide increased pro bono assistance.
FLASH law student volunteers
- Receive training in family law practice skills including client interviewing, document review, pleading preparation, family law court procedures, working with the general public, working with family law attorneys, and familiarity with the Spokane County Courthouse.
- Receive a wide variety of family law practice experience.
- Receive advice, training, and mentoring from experienced family law attorneys.
- Receive important networking contacts and practice-ready skills for a family law career.
- Earn hours towards their community service graduation requirement and the Pro Bono Distinction.
- Help our community meet the overwhelming demand for family law assistance.
Students that wish to volunteer for the FLASH program should contact Catherine Brown, director of the Center for Law in Public Service.
FLASH Training Schedule
|January 15||Dissolution Basics I
Venue / Jurisdiction
|January 22||Dissolution Basics II
|January 29||Dissolution Basics III
Identifying, evaluating, and dividing assets & debt
|February 5||Establishing Paternity|
|February 12||Focus on Parenting Plans I
Effective Residential Schedules
|February 19||Focus on Parenting Plans II
|February 26||Focus on Parenting Plans III
Parenting Plan modification
|March 5||Child Support I
|March 19||Child Support II
When to file contempt motions
|March 26||Family Law & Domestic Violence
Orders for Protection