The 2014 Inter-American Summer Program in Guatemala, which takes place in the city of Antigua, will run from May 31 through June 20, 2014, with an optional Externship/Field Placement running from June 23 to Aug. 8, 2014.
Gonzaga is an affiliate of this program, which is operated by University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law. Visit their website for complete information.
The Experience in Guatemala
The Inter-American Summer Program in Guatemala is a truly bilingual and inter-cultural approach to legal education. It offers comparative and transnational substantive law classes about Latin America taught in Spanish and English as well as bilingual field placements and legal Spanish immersion. It allows students the opportunity to study with Latin American students. Program participants will gain professional legal and inter-cultural experience useful in the practice of law in Latin America or to work with Latino issues and clients in the United States.
To encourage participation from as many students and recent law graduates, the Inter-American Program is designed to accommodate the learning objectives and needs of participants with varying degrees of Spanish proficiency.
Pacific McGeorge has entered into an agreement with Rafael Landívar University, a leading Jesuit-run institution in Guatemala that is known for its social justice mission and its offerings of law courses in the field of human rights. In addition, Pacific McGeorge works closely with several other law schools in Guatemala, Chile and Spain. These collaborations allow for exchanges of professors and students from those regions in the program. Students from Rafael Landívar University and other Latin American law schools or lawyers from institutions with which we collaborate in the region may attend classes in this program with U.S. law students, providing a unique opportunity to learn firsthand about the legal systems of Latin America.
- March 1, 2014 — Applications for Classroom Program and Field Placements are due along with deposit ($250). Late applications will be considered for the Classroom Program and the Externship on a space-available basis.
- March 15, 2014 — Applicants will be notified of acceptance to the Classroom Program and Field Placement. Application Fees are applied to the applicant Mandatory Program Fees if you are admitted, or are fully refunded if enrollment is denied.
- April 1, 2014 — Non-Refundable Field Placement Deposit ($500) due. Externship spots are competitive. Once selected, to secure your spot in an Externship a non-refundable $500 deposit is required. Application Fees are refunded if you cancel prior to this date.
- April 15, 2014 — Unit Fees and Program Fees are due. Extensions may be granted if financial aid funds are delayed. If an applicant withdraws from enrollment prior to the first date of the program (May 31) but after April 15, the applicant will be refunded Unit Fees, but will forfeit application fees, deposits, and mandatory program fees. Failure to meet the payment deadlines specified results in automatic forfeiture of your place in the program as well as forfeiture of fees and deposits paid. The student will also forfeit any program fee paid for an accompanying person.
- All Fees will be returned if the program is cancelled.